The LMU Department of Public Safety in conjunction with the Los Angeles Police Department initiated the Loyola Marymount University Cadet program. Through this partnership and program, it is our mission to work with adolescents from the community to instill discipline, leadership, integrity, promote academic excellence, and introduce them to a potential career in public safety and emergency services. In return, under the guidance of a Public Safety Lieutenant, LMU cadets will participate in community service events on and off campus and contribute to our university community.
About the Program
How to Apply
To be eligible to serve as an LMU cadet, candidates must meet and maintain the following eligibility requirements:
- 13 – 20 years old
- GPA of 2.5 +
- Obtain a letter of recommendation
- Have no record of serious arrest or convictions
- Complete a medical exam
- Be in good physical condition
Recruits must attend and graduate from our cadet academy before beginning fieldwork. The Academy training consist of:
- Approximately 144 hours of academics, physical conditioning and experiential classes at the Los Angeles Police Cadet Academy in Westchester
- Extends over 18 consecutive Saturdays
- Consist of classes on criminal law, community relations, police procedures, character development, firearms safety, and physical fitness
- If you meet the criteria outlined above, please send an email including your first and last name to Jessica.email@example.com letting us know you are interested in the program.
- After receiving your email, a DPS staff member will contact you to confirm your eligibility and schedule an oral interview.
- Following oral interviews, DPS will invite qualified candidates to attend its Cadet Academy.